What is Chiropractic Care?
Chiropractic care is a form of Complementary Alternative Medicine (CAM). Aside from Dental services, it is the most onboarded specialty program in FQHC’s. A chiropractor is a health care professional/physician focused on the diagnosis and treatment of neuromuscular disorders, with an emphasis on treatment through manual adjustments of the spine and extremities. A Chiropractor is trained in the area of Physical Therapy and can guide patients on rehabilitative techniques for recovery. Their area of expertise has a wide breadth for many conditions. In regards to the COVID-19 pandemic, Chiropractors are deemed essential providers by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Frequently Asked Questions
IS CHIROPRACTIC RECOGNIZED BY MEDICARE/MEDICAID?
YES! Since the 1972 inclusion in the Medicare program, doctors of chiropractic have been recognized as physicians for treatment by means of manual manipulation of the spine to correct a subluxation (i.e. spinal adjustments), all under the policies developed by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
CAN PATIENTS COME IN FOR MORE THAN TWO VISITS?
YES! If properly documented and medically necessary.
CAN FQHC/RHC BILL FOR CHIROPRACTIC CARE??
YES! Federal law has mandated chiropractic services under Title 42 U.S.C. § 1395x(aa). Although just over half of the States have made provisions for Optional services that include chiropractic coverage for their state-licensed providers; Federally licensed FQHCs are covered under Federal laws which states that optional services, including Dental, Chiropractic, Podiatry, etc. when delivered by an FQHC, must be paid. This ruling was reaffirmed on September 23, 2013 by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
WHAT IS THE TIME FRAME TO SET UP A CHIROPRACTIC SPACE?
It can take as little as 2-3 weeks. We will provide chiropractic equipment and the chiropractor. A 10x20 space/examination room is needed for chiropractic care.
WOULDN'T IT BE EASIER TO HIRE AN IN-HOUSE DC?
1. Lack of experience and knowledge will lead to Improper documentation = audit + money left on the table.
2. Fulltime chiropractor=greater overhead+mandated benefits.
3. No built-in quality control measures for monitoring the patient volume with little accountability.
4. Without community and clinic outreach, the low patient volume doesn’t keep the chiropractor busy, leaving the clinic not trusting the effectiveness of such specialty service.
5. Often times the Chiropractic leaves once the volume is down, leaving the clinic with the specialty equipment and having to start all over again.
WHAT ARE THE CLINIC'S UPFRONT COSTS?
NONE. We come in as a full service agency.